Monday, May 23, 2011

Watching Wikiliaty a year later

Time does change things. Or should I say that time can change my opinion. Watching Steve Colbert's "Wikiality'' nearly a year and half after I first saw it shows how quickly little respected things on the Internet can gain credibility. Just over a year ago, you could label me a big doubter of Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia. Most of my skepticism came from the fact that Wikipedia is a website that anyone can edit. I was also aware of reports about people deliberately editing incorrect and harmful information into entries on Wikipedia. What I didn’t anticipate was how the passion that many people have for the subjects they are interested in would drive the accuracy of Wikipedia, which is what we’re finding today. Researchers are more receptive to the value of Wikipedia. And I guess like almost anything on the Internet, people find a way of seeking out the credible information.
I think that Colbert’s satire still serves as a reminder that anyone using Wikipedia should be aware of the pitfalls that come with using a site that allows anyone to edit. I also still advocate that you verify anything you plan to use from the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment