Monday, May 23, 2011

Collaborative effort on Wikipedia succeeds


Wow! It was great to see our Wikipedia entry today. As we started working on the assignment, I remember saying to my teammates that I was having a difficult time wrapping my arms around what we were supposed to be doing.
As I read the assignment and outlined an approach, what we were supposed to be doing became clear. However, I continued to struggle with how it would all come together. This was my first attempt at producing a paper through a wiki. I’ve walked away from this assignment with an understanding and a major appreciation for that process. I was impressed with the final project on PBworks and how the group and individual pages came together.
In the context of whether how working on the assignment has changed my mind about Wikipedia, I must say that it has changed it slightly. I can certainly understand the amount of work that people who care about a subject will put into making sure it is correctly represented. So I think that I can approach Wikipedia from this frame of mind in the future. However, as a journalist, I’ll still need to verify anything that I find on Wikipedia. For me Wikipedia remains a good starting point for research. The vast amount of references that come with entries provide a good source for tracking down additional sources and verification that journalism requires.
And finally, a shout-out the Group 3 team – Camille, Josie and Julia. The early concerns we had about producing the project and meeting deadline quickly dissolved as they took on various aspects of the project to get and keep us going. Awesome team! A big thumbs up to each of them.


1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I couldn't have said it better. We have an awesome team! Bruce did a GREAT job in choosing us four.

    I too was having a hard time grasping and understanding what was expected of us but I think Julia got us on the right track and "we" handled the challenged!

    Again, GREAT TEAM!

    ReplyDelete